Welsh Master Steve Gardner struck gold at the British championships in Derby.


*Pictured on the podium (l-r): Simon Allen, Steve Gardner, and Phil York

Welsh Master Steve Gardner struck gold at the British championships in Derby...

Report by Don Hale.

donhaleblog.blogspot.com/2025

 

Welsh Master Steve Gardner claimed a prestigious gold medal last weekend in the 2000m steeplechase race during the British Masters Track and Field Championships held at the Moorways Stadium, near Derby.


Despite his varied successes on the track, bizarrely, this was the first time he has ever won a gold medal in the British Championships, and this latest impressive result is likely to have smashed another Welsh record!


After his event, a delighted Steve confirmed: “I competed in the 2000m steeplechase, winning a gold medal with a time of 7.37.24, with Phil York second and Simon Allen third.

“Whilst I have had some good results previously in Welsh Championships, this is the first time that I have won a gold medal in a British Championship.”


Steve also paid tribute to his coach and added: “I've worked more closely with John Messum, the North Wales Endurance Coach recently, which has been instrumental in my performance at Derby.


“I think my time will be a new Welsh VM60 record pending confirmation from Chris Pruski at Welsh Athletics, as the current Welsh records show the V60 2000m steeplechase record is held by David Rosser with a time of 8.32.73. 


“However, the UK 'All Time' best performances indicate that Trefor Pugh from Maldwyn Harriers ran a time of 7.55.70 in 08/08/1999. The list also shows that Andrew Fox - an athlete that I raced against regularly in the 1980's and formerly of Colwyn Bay Athletics Club ran 7.47.1 on 23/06/2021, although he moved to the Isle of Man a number of years ago.


“I am hoping that the record will be ratified, and the time will likely be the 6th fastest time on the UK all-time list for a VM60.”






Comments

Most recent posts

North Wales parkrunners celebrated 22 years of UK events

Local athletes shine at the Bangor 10k and half-marathon races.

Stiff competition as youngsters battled the buggy! North Wales Parkrun Results:

Start of the Urban Night Races in Llandudno.

Bright and breezy at the popular RNLI 5k race on Llandudno prom.

OVER £9K RAISED FOR THE RNLI FOLLOWING THE 5K RACE ON THE PROM

Spectacular 5k fundraising race on the prom for the RNLI.

Local quartet ran well in the Berlin Marathon.

Join the Penrhyn Castle Dark Run – Light Up the Night for Hope House Children’s Hospices! October 17th 2026.