More inspirational stories wanted about veteran runners...this time we feature Peter Robinson (Hornsea Harriers).


Peter Robinson (Hornsea Harriers) pictured above - returned to running after retirement.

More inspirational stories wanted about veteran runners...and this time we feature Peter Robinson from Hornsea Harriers...

Report by Don Halehttps://donhaleblog.blogspot.com

www.welshmastersathletics.co.uk

 

Welsh Masters Athletics have been looking for some more inspirational stories about veteran athletes who, for whatever reasons, perhaps stopped running for a period of time, before returning to the sport, and are now enjoying both success and fitness in their later years.

We welcome all your tales about the highs and lows of your running career, and this week we feature master veteran athlete Peter Robinson from Hornsea Harriers.


Peter explained: “As a teenager, I ran for a Northern UK club, Gateshead Harriers, and had some success. More important, I realised that I loved running. I stopped competing when I married in 1974 but kept 'jogging' to keep fit.

“When I retired in 2018, I moved to Hornsea. I was still jogging 5k a few times a week and I often saw groups from Hornsea Harriers running together. In 2021, I took the plunge and joined the club. They were very welcoming and encouraging.

“And in the last year, I've run 10k in just over 49 mins, and a half marathon in 1hr 56mins. My first priority is to continue to enjoy running. However, I'm also eager to see how much I can improve times and for how long. 

“I'll be 70 in September, so why should I not be faster in 3 or 4 years if I keep at it? This morning I did a 10k run and put in a 'faster' mile. It was the fastest mile I've run since I was aged 21, 7m 30s. This is fun & feels good!”


My thanks to Peter for his report. I have also published some other recent features about other veteran performances and their fascinating stories: These are the links to Welsh Masters’ Dave Watson, and Alan Benn: -

*Don Hale Blog: Welsh Master Dave Watson is fighting fit and recor... https://donhaleblog.blogspot.com/2023/06/welsh-master-dave-watson-is-fighting.html?spref=tw  

*Don Hale Blog: GOG Triathlete and Welsh ‘Super Vet’ Alan Benn cro... https://donhaleblog.blogspot.com/2023/05/gog-triathlete-and-welsh-super-vet-alan.html?spref=tw

Comments

Most popular posts

Great performance by Martin Green to win the Pier2Pier half-marathon...and some other excellent club results...

Mixed emotions but a great experience for athletes at the London Marathon...plus other results and updates.

Blue runners wanted for 400th Conwy parkrun on 18th May!

Road Runners dug deep to win podium places at the tough Goldrush Trail races...plus other race results.

The Green duo welcomed back at Conwy parkrun in cool, blustery but relatively dry conditions.

(UPDATE): Funeral arrangements for the former Swansea Harrier and WMAA secretary Jonathan Kersting.

Welsh Athletics teams for the forthcoming international events.

Splash and dash for visiting entrants at Conwy parkrun.

Fast times at Conwy parkrun despite hard, dry, and bumpy conditions...plus NWRRC members at Nova parkrun...

Unusually dry conditions at Conwy parkrun boosted the numbers and times.