Helen celebrated virtual London Marathon charity debut


*Helen Hannam completed a successful charity marathon

 Helen celebrated virtual London Marathon charity debut

Report by Don Hale


North Wales Road Runner Helen Hannam celebrated her marathon debut in style last Saturday in what she described as the ‘hardest day of her life,’ bravely running 26.2 miles for charity in the virtual London Marathon.

Helen had hoped to run her first race at this distance around the streets of the capital but due to Covid-19 restrictions, she had to plod the roads and cycle routes around her Llandudno home, backed at times by the generous support of several club members.

Facing warm and breezy conditions, together with a challenging route from Abergele, and running via Colwyn Bay, Penrhyn Bay, West Shore, Llandudno Junction before eventually finishing on Llandudno Promenade, the popular athlete finally completed her arduous task in 5 hours 36 seconds.



Helen particularly praised the backing of colleagues Marina Abed, Nicola Wylie Davies, Llinos Davies, Ell Jay, Zoe and Steven Roberts, Rachel Morris, and others, who each took turns to accompany her at various sections along the route.


As she finally crossed the finishing line, Helen proudly confirmed: ‘OMG, that was the hardest day of my life! I won’t lie, that was tough! I set off far too fast and almost collapsed. I wanted to give up at 21 miles, so I had to have a conversation with myself. My amazing running partners spurred me on, and I walked a few miles and ran the final mile.

‘My thanks to all of them for their support. It was much appreciated and needed, especially the last 5 miles when I thought I was going to die. I am really pleased with, and thanks to everyone who supported me along the way, and to my husband Lee for taking some photos. Now it’s time to bathe in wine!’

Helen used her run to help raise money for Cancer Research UK. She explained: ‘I am fundraising for this charity as my step-dad died from cancer, and that was how I first got into running, when my mother and I did Race 4 Life the year after he passed away.’

*If anyone is able to donate anything towards Helen’s fundraising quest for CANCER RESEARCH UK, please click on this link: https://www.facebook.com/donate/881884025990892/

 

 

 

Comments

Most popular posts

Entries open for British Masters Cross-country champs at Rhug.

Team prizes and some notable NW results at the BMAF cross country champs at Corwen.

John Hatton performed a clean sweep at a waterlogged Conwy parkrun.

Funeral arrangements for Welsh Master Athlete Glyn Pugh: UPDATE - plus previous tribute.

Medals galore for NW Road Runners at Colwyn Bay Metric races.

Fast times at Conwy parkrun and a good turn-out despite the cold and blustery conditions.

Colwyn Bay Metric Marathon & Metric Half Marathon

No ice this week but runners battled a cold and blustery wind at Conwy parkrun.

BRITISH MASTERS CROSS COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS 2024 - Sat 16th March 2024 - Rhug Estate, Corwen.

(UPDATE) NW Road runners celebrated age cat wins at Anglesey half-marathon and 10k races.